Saturday, August 02, 2008

What the heck was I thinking?

This weekend is a tax holiday in GA, so no sales tax on clothes, school supplies and some other things. The idea is to get all the things needed to go back to school. Yes, my kids start school August 11Th.

For some very strange reason, when Deb asked me if I wanted to go to the mall to look for jeans for Courtney and pants for Christopher, I said 'sure'.

The place was a madhouse. I'm glad I don't work in retail, because the employees couldn't keep up with the clothes bring dropped on the floor, thrown back into the wrong place etc. I'm not implying that they weren't trying, they were. In each store there were several people trying to fold stuff and put it back, only to have someone rip the pile apart before they could walk away. I would have gone ballistic if that was me.

I still don't get why, when I'm pushing a stroller, do people crowd up against us and act surprised when I need to turn around the stroller to get away from the register? Being a little bit older (and crankier?) this time around with a child in a stroller, I use my rather commanding voice to say 'excuse me' and people usually move ;-)

One nice thing: on two different occasions parents told their kids to hold the door open for me and Christopher. usually no one helps you, but here two different parents are raising their kids right.

We spent 2 1/2 hours going into 3 or 4 stores, found a few things for each child. And had chocolate chip cookies. Double Doozies for Courtney and I ;-)

Deb is going back out in a few hours with Meghan and a friend to go shopping for clothes for middle and high schoolers (her friend is a Freshman this year.)

Flash back for those of you who grew up in the 80's. I was looking for Levi 501 button fly jeans in Sears and found WHITE ones. Yes, 80's style, white button fly jeans. Deb wanted me to buy them, but I declined.

1 comment:

overtly trite said...

as long as you wear them before Labor Day...