Thursday, October 25, 2007

DVR, Ladders and Meghan

I've been meaning to blog about this for a while.

We've had a DirecTv DVR for a couple of years now, but since our house is 10 years old, only one cable was run to where the TV is.

So, while I wanted to watch educational shows or football or Deb wanted to watch something, we always had to fight with the stuff the girls wanted. We also had the Chris vs. Deb conflicts on many nights.

I finally talked to Roger about what to do and borrowed his tools for crimping the cable ends. Then I ran 100' of cable from the satellite, up the side of the house into the attic, back down the other side of the house and finally into the DVR.

We now have 2 cables running in, so we can watch one show and record another, or just record 2 shows. We still have tons of crap the girls like, but I don't notice what they are recording until the disk is full ;-)

So what does this have to do with Meghan? She was my helper, standing at the bottom of the ladder as I climbed up and down. She asked me what it was like to climb a ladder, so I let her go up to the roof above the garage.

Yes, Mom this is safer than the wooden ladders that Dad had. For those who remember climbing 3 stories on a shaking 400+ lb wooden ladder, aluminum is you friend!

To recap:
- I did it without 1 trip to Lowes or Home Depot
- I did it without Meghan asking if she needs to call 911
- Other than borrowing the tools, I didn't need Roger's help

1 comment:

ryssee said...

You are turning into Mr. Fix-It Man.
I am angry with Direct TV for making us buy a new dish (AGAIN) to get more HD channels. Cable has my beloved Red Sox in high-def. but DTV has Sunday Ticket in HD for my sweet one.
Maybe I should run cable for the boys of summer though.