Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Really annoyed with Earthlink right now

Not the best customer service and now are charging me NOT to see banner ads?

I've been with Earthlink (first Mindspring) since 1995 or 1996. I know it was before the Atlanta Olympics. When we moved into the current house I upgraded to DSL for $50/month.

Last month I contacted them to see if I could get the faster DSL that AT&T was pestering me about (I know Earthlink leases the DSL line from Bellsouth/AT&T). They upgraded me and even told me it was a lower price.

After several hours of troubleshooting my DSL and internal network after the 'no interruption update', I finally got things working.

Then they billed me the old price. I got on a chat with a guy in India, who resolved the charge 'next month'. Well, next month is here and the price is still wrong.

Then I find out that for $1 a month they will turn off the banner ads in the webmail client. How nice of them. Show me crap not related to what I am interested in, slow down the UI because the ad servers are slow, then charge me to make it go away? And I pay them $50/month.

I had been hesitant to get rid of them because I've had the email addresses for so long, but I just found out they have a $5/month email only account. So I'm looking at getting a cable modem now and pay the $5 for access to my accounts.

No comments: