Sunday, September 28, 2008

Dad & Daughter camping this weekend

I got back a few hours ago from taking Meghan on a Dad and Daughter camping trip. We left Friday directly from school and went to Camp Misty Mountain in NW Georgia. I am amazed we jammed all the gear into the Mustang, since Deb needed the van for Christopher and Courtney's weekend activities.

The campground was really nice, once of the other Dads arrived earlier in the afternoon and took a primo spot near the lake. We setup and pretty much hung out all night. I learned a new version of 'Spades' and my teammate and I did pretty well crushing the other dads ;-)

Sleeping in a 2 person tent with Meghan was interesting and fun at the same time. I think the last time I slept in a sleeping bag was 1985 or 1986. I'm a little bigger now then I was then ;-(

Saturday morning started in typical dad fashion: pancakes, sausage and bacon! Saturday during the day we did several events:
- candle making
- leather making (we made book marks out of leather strips, put our initials etc. on them)
- canoeing (another thing I hadn't done since 1985 or so)
- a 4+ mile hike to see some crazy people do zip lines from a 45 foot tall tower. We didn't sign up in time so there weren't any slots for us to try. I wish we had

We then made spaghetti, bread and salad for dinner. One of the dads had to run into town because his lantern broke and he brought back ice cream for the kids.

Once it got dark the whole campsite had a bonfire and 'skits' event. Not having been at a girl scout event before I didn't know what to expect, but they were a lot like the boy scout events I remembered. Just a little cleaner in the jokes.

Our girls did a funny one about keeping the worms warm. If you have to ask you don't want to know!

The evening then ended a little early since the girls were pretty tired.

This morning we went to the dining hall for a breakfast provided by the campsite. After that we went and did an hour course/hands on even with the Lego Mindstorms. We almost got one of the intermediate projects completed before we ran out of time. I think Meghan is interested in them so we may see about getting her in a course at GA Tech.

The ride back was uneventful. Meghan fell asleep for about 30 minutes and is still pretty tired. I unpacked, took a shower and immediately started a load of laundry. While we couldn't have open fires due the drought, we still didn't smell very good.

I had a lot of fun and hope to do it again with Meghan or Courtney if they want.

1 comment:

ryssee said...

Sounds like a great time with your daughter! She'll remember it forever :-)

Got fuel yet?

Got your message. We have walls now. Contractors are here every day. Cabinets soon!